Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Life this Last Week...

Okay, I know that it has been a long time, (in blog days) since I last posted, but now I am back. Let me give you a long convoluted summary :)

I was away in Medford Oregon, where I underwent training on my new position, aka "Teller School". It was fun, and for the first time in a long time, I can say that I actually think that I will like this company. Realy like them. Anyways, I arrived home late Friday evening, and promptly left Klamath again, at 4:30 a.m., this time to head to Salt Lake City. We have discovered that Kenya isn't pregnant anymore and so we were taking her back to the breeder so we can try this all again. We dropped her off Saturday night as soon as we arrived in Salt Lake, and left to return to Klamath again, very early this morning, whereupon we just arrived home in Klamath Falls. Oh and did I mention that the drive is 12 hours, one direction? I am tired, nevertheless, (which also accounts for my broken syntax and basic sentence structure debacle).

Now to what was really important, at least to me, was that the drive to Utah passes through a Wildlife Reserve out in the middle of the desert otherwise known as nowhere/the moon. There is absolutley nothing out there, no towns, really lucky to even have the road paved. Anyways, Sheldon used to be where the Cavalry turned out their remounts after WWI. And after the Cavalry was disbanded, they just left the horses and some donkeys out there to fend for themselves. These mustangs and burros are a rare sight and on this trip we saw a full family group of 9 mustangs (with which you could trace lineage based on the phenotypical color genetics) and 42 (!!) burros, including two babies!!! One of which was clearly less than a week old, and the cutest little jahonkey in the world! They were all just right off the road, and we were able to get some pretty good pictures. One of the other cool things was a bachelor band of burros, with some of the young jacks sparring and play fighting, all of which we caught on film.

Makes the whole week and subsequent horrid road trip, worth it!!







3 comments:

*Katie May* said...

I bet that WAS really cool to be able to see them being wild animals and all, even though they are a common animal

The Constantines said...

That is so neat! were you guys just up in Salt Lake this weekend??

Heitmann Family said...

My kids would have loved it. Very cool and I am glad to hear that you love your job!!